Monday 7 March 2011

Phone - nobody home - Communication Malfunction


I had to visit a medical centre this week for a CT Scan of my jaw. Sounds simple, doesn't it? I phoned the x-ray centre and made the appointment and asked for their address. This is where the communication between myself and the receptionist broke down. I wrote the address down and transferred it into my electronic diary. Before I discarded the hand written address I double checked what I had written down with what I had entered into my electronic diary.

On the day of the x-ray appointment I took the bus and travelled listening to Soundgarden's 1994 release 'Superunknown'. Great songs that reminded me of good times and memories of friends and experiences half remembered. Anyway, I tuned out and relaxed because I was leaving enough time to get to my appointment on time and as I knew the area had no reason to doubt that I would be on time.

I got off at my stop and walked a short distance to the number supplied by the receptionist at 109 Stinkbomb Avenue. When I arrived at the address it was a large well designed commercial park with large signs advising visitors of companies using the commercial park. I looked down the the sign looking for Ding Ding X-Ray which I did not notice, however, I did see Cling Ding Medical Associates and wondered if there was a mis-communication as Ding Ding and Cling Ding could sound similar on the phone. However, once I went to the reception I quickly realised that Cling Ding Medical Associates had nothing to do with x-rays and more to do with reminding me that there ares in the city where everyone looks like they've stepped right out of an Emporio Armani window display. I checked my address in my electronic diary, 109 Stinkbomb Avenue, this was indeed 109 Stinkbomb Avenue and the name Ding Ding X-Ray was suspiciously similar to Cling Ding Medical Associates. It was a topographical conundrum. At this stage I had enough time to use that so called 'gut instinct' that helps one locate addresses with an internal GPS.

By the time I was supposed to be at the x-ray centre I was sweating and confused as my efforts to locate destination by gut instinct proved to be fruitless I called the receptionist and asked for directions. As I was sure I was close to my destination I did not press the receptionist for an exact location.  When I repeated the address I was told that the street name and the number were incorrect, instead of being located at 109 Stinkbomb Avenue the x-ray centre was situated at  139 Aardvark Street. I couldn't figure out how I could write the address wrong when making my appointment with the receptionist. Regardless I asked for a landmark to reference so as to make my way to the x-ray centre from my current position. The receptionist said that they were located directly opposite the university. I knew I should have asked for an exact address as the University grounds extended for well over four blocks. However, i reasoned that I would see the x-ray centre if I just walked up and down Aardvark Street I was sure to find it.

Nevertheless, even with the new information I was wandering aimlessly up and down the street opposite the university. Finally I relented and called a third time asking for an exact address. I was provided with an address and I followed up by asking the receptionist how close were to the locals Eastplot Shopping Centre. I was surprised when she said that "The x-ray centre is inside the shopping centre!"

I had to refrain from doing my head in as as far as I recalled I was never told that the x-ray centre was 'inside' the shopping centre. I had to accept that I could have taken down the address wrong, however, I feel that I would have remembered if I was told the x-ray centre was located in such an obvious landmark as a large well know shopping centre!

The lesson learned is that I should have been engaged in active listening when making the appointment over the phone. Secondly the moment I arrived at the wrong destination I should have called the x-ray centre and asked for the exact address and location. However, in my defence I am confident that I was not informed of the centre's location being on level 4 of the Eastplot Shopping Centre. Regardless of who is at 'fault' it is simply better relationship building to forgot who is to blame and get to the heart of the matter.

After I had a huge burger with cheese and the largest coke I had ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment