Monday 14 March 2011

Dog Blues

If there's one area where communication skills are extremely useful it's between you and your pets. In my case it's my 5.5 year old Rottweiler, Chili. Dogs communicate mostly by body language, gestures, poise, signals and of course through whines, barking, growling, showing teeth, tail flapping. So between my Chili and we have developed our own form of body and signal language. It has taken years to develop our friendship and for the most part the communication, though simple, has been effective. We still learn new ways of communicating if something different in our lives comes along. The one thing I am certain about Chili is her real affection and loyalty. Dogs don't always want to be pack leaders, they just actually want to know where they are (status wise) in the pack. Dogs do not get hung up on 'wanting' to be pack leader, if they are a pack leader well, simply they are and if they're not the leader of the pack, they just want to find out where they fit.

So over the years from playing, walking, running, and getting to know my two sons from birth she has demonstrated her loyalty and important place in the family or the pack! However, this morning Chili suddenly had an epileptic fit. I was in the lounge room and I heard this extremely loud banging noise and thought that Chili was chasing a fly (one of her favourite sports). But the banging went on and on for over thirty seconds. I became concerned and ran into the bedroom to find Chili on the floor having this awful fit. She was very stiff and her legs were slamming down on the floor. Her mouth was thick with white soapy froth and she was for all intents and purposes unconscious. In that she did not respond to my calls or my gestures. I was afraid as I did not really know what was going on as she has never had a fit or a history of epilepsy and has fortunately been a healthy, active friendly dog. I really felt bad about what she was going through and all I could do was rub her as she continued to fit.

Her fit lasted about 90 seconds which the vet told me was long but not the longest that a fit can last. When Chili stopped fitting she looked totally out of it and did not seem to know who or what she was. I tried to talk to her but she was far to whacked out and as she tried to stand up fell over. After a few minutes she started to slowly wander around the house sniffing out the place. It was almost as if she was communicating and re-connecting with her surroundings. A short while later she started recognising me and soon enough she was sitting next to me as if she was aware that something 'weird' had occurred but was sure, therefore, she felt that by sitting with me she would be secure. I took her to the vet and I am still waiting for the vet's results.

Her fit today taught me a few lessons, that because of our history we have communicated through the years our friendship and loyalty to each other without actually talking. It has been for the most part created by gestures, visual commands and some limited verbal commands. Effective communication builds relationships, trust, love, friendship and and most of all a positive sense of self worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment